Saturday, June 19, 2010

World Cup

So, did anyone see Serbia beat Germany today at the World Cup??
Supposedly there were parades in the streets!

Ok, fine: I'll be the first to admit that I do not keep up with sports. This is probably due to the melancholy truth that I have no talent for them (but oh boy, have I tried) and I don't watch a lot of TV in general. Anyway, I like the World Cup because it is a global event that raises awareness about other nations and brings people together (while tearing them apart because of team rivalries). Although soccer is a competitive game, people still have fun rooting for nations that their ancestors came from, places they have lived, or associate with themselves in other ways. And does anyone remember the Olympics? I bet not a single person hasn't watched a part of the Olympic Games, whether it be the stunningly cutting-edge and innovative opening ceremonies (although I must admit Vancouver's was incomparable to Beijing's) or a track event. No matter which team you are cheering on (God, this sounds so cheesy!) sports have the power to captivate global audiences because we all play the same games with the same rules - no language barrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment