Monday, July 19, 2010

The Tourists's Guide to Paris: Top Ten - #9 The People

Contrary to popular stereotype, the French are not snobs! I am not suggesting that there are no uppity French citizens, but they are as a whole misinterpreted. Overall, I have had a really great experience with locals in Paris.
Whenever I could, I tried to order food in French. Most waiters spoke back to me in English but this was not done to deter my from using my American-accented French; they were trying to be helpful and maybe practice their English. However, I did have one bad encounter with a waiter who got mad at me for making him run back and forth a couple of times after he did not hear that I asked for an extra plate and ketchup. It seemed to me that the customer is not always right in Paris, but I can understand why he was annoyed with me. On a more positive note, when a local woman saw me and my family staring at a map, looking for the metro stop, she was eager to help although she knew no English. Not to worry, I have been taking French for 5 years so I finally had to use it. My experience with this kind, friendly woman was (almost) enough to erase the angry-waiter brouhaha out of my mind.
I'll leave you with these tips for knowing what to expect from Parisians
  1. Do not be offended if you speak French to someone and they answer in English - this is a city of tourists!
  2. Do not be too picky with a waiter or a salesperson - they are the most likely to become agitated from dealing with tourists all day
  3. Do not expect everyone to know your language!
  4. Do not flip through magazines for too long at a newsstand without the intention of buying something - this is anecdote I'll have to leave out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment